Spring is upon us and Earth Day is around the corner, reminding us all to do our part by participating in upcoming clean-ups and to take necessary actions on the climate crisis.
Community Climate Action:
- Cities and towns around the world are being called on to commit to a future free from fossil fuels which are the largest contributors to global climate change. Kerry Le Clair, Ward 3 Climate Action Coordinator, has been working with Fridays for Future students and Environment Hamilton to research and create the Community Fossil Free Plan(CFFP). I was able to move one win from this plan during the budget process which directs staff to increase the tax charged to pipelines which offsets impacts to residential. I look forward to continuing to make progress on the CFFP with community and Council.
- Industrial Mapping Project with McMaster students – this accessible, easy-to-use, digital tool will provide Ward 3 neighbours to learn about neighbouring industrial businesses – who they are, how to contact them, and what human and environmental health impacts might be. This project is a continuing research initiative and we will share more with our Ward 3 community as different phases are completed.
Upcoming Public Works in Ward 3:
- Across Landsdale, 126 major trip hazards have been identified on sidewalks. A total investment of $200,000 has now been allocated for repairs to be completed this year.
- Ward 3 Complete Streets Report recommendations will continue this Spring with 12 speed cushion locations and more being implemented this Fall.
- Powell Park will get a second basketball hoop to complete the court this summer.
- Birge Park will receive year-round water sourcing for use in the community garden and will also enable neighbours to establish a community ice rink next winter.
The AIDS Network application for CTS at 746 Barton St E:
- On FEb 22, 2023, I amended the endorsement motion from Public Health by adding a caveat requiring robust community consultation with public health support. Without fulfilling the caveat, the endorsement may not move forward to the Ministry.
To reach my office, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 905-546-2107.
Yours in Community,
Councillor Nrinder Nann