“When the skies of November turn gloomy” the Barton library is the place to be…and has been for the past 60 years. Yes, Barton is celebrating its 60th anniversary this month! Opened in May 1908, the Barton Branch was the first in the Hamilton Public Library system. The Branch occupied several permanent and temporary locations over the next 50 years, before it moved to its present location in November 1963. Next time you are in, check out our photos from the early days and share your Barton library stories.
Visit us at 571 Barton Street East
Visit our website Barton Branch | HPL or call 905-546-3450
Programs at your Barton Library
Grey Cup fever hits the Hammer! Join us for a special Black and Gold storytime on November 17th at 10:30am. This PA DAY storytime will celebrate sport, team spirit, and good sportsmanship through songs, stories, and rhymes. Oskee wee wee! Ideal for ages 0-5.
Also, on that November 17th PA DAY we will be exploring, through games and crafts, all things transportation. So, get your wheels rolling over to the library for Trains, Trucks & Transit starting at 2pm. Ideal for ages 4-12.
More programs for kids:
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) Learning Lab: Try your hand at stop motion animation, explore the forces that allow planes to fly by building a paper airplane, and learn about the wildlife that lives with us in our city. Drop by every Wednesday at 3:30pm. Ideal for ages 8-12 years.
- Whether you love math or need some extra practice go on a fun Math Quest Tuesdays from 3pm-6pm. Complete 10 math activities (supporting the Ontario Curriculum) and get your name on Barton’s Math Quest Wall of Fame.
- Family Storytime: Bring the whole family to storytime. Discover stories, rhymes, music, finger plays and flannel boards at this interactive program. Wednesdays at 10:30am. Ideal for ages 0-4.
- Explore & Play Calling all toddlers and preschoolers! Bring your grownups and explore, create, and play with our themed activity stations. Ideal for ages 0-4.
- Craft Cart: Fridays from 3pm-5pm: We will provide the supplies—all you need to bring is your imagination and make a cool creation to take home. Supplies provided, ages 4-12
- Saturdays are library days! We are all fun and games with Board Games and Puzzles from 11am -1pm and LEGOmania from 1-3:30pm.
Come out to our Drop-In Knitting and Crochet group, which meets Wednesdays from 1-2pm. During the month of November, we will be creating hats and mitts to help keep our community members warm.
Join the Barton Book Club’s discussion of Michael Ondaatje’s Warlight on Tuesday November 21st.
As always, we are here to help you with your burning tech questions. Bring your questions and devices to our Drop-in Tech Help every Monday from 1-2pm
OR register for one of our Thursday morning (11am-12noon) introductory computer skills classes. No experience required.
Nov 2nd: Basic Computer Skills 1 – Device, Mouse and Keyboard
Nov 9th Basic Computer Skills 2 – Keyboards and Drives
Nov 16th Ancestry Library Edition
Nov 23rd NEW! Cricut Design Space: Learn how to make cool creations on this crafting machine
Nov 30th Digitize Your Memories