Calling all artists ages birth to 18! Enter the HPL Bookmark Contest
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Pick up your contest submission form at the library (or check out the digital submission form on our website)
- Design a bookmark that shows us what you think the library of the future will look like—what will you be reading, watching, listening and doing at your library in the future?
- Hand in your design to library staff (or upload on our website) before the contest ends on March 17, 2024
Nine winning bookmarks will be selected and announced in May 2024 and winning designs will be professionally printed and distributed throughout all the Hamilton Public Library locations.
Rainbow Family Storytime Join library staff for stories, songs and rhymes that foster acceptance and inclusion, and that celebrate family diversity and being yourself. Wednesday, February 28, 11am
Looking for a quiet place to study? Teen Study Hall is the space for you. Free WIFI, access to computers, and loads of free curriculum-based resources all in one place. Every Tuesday from 2:30pm-6pm. Additional days available during the exam period.
March Break Sneak Peek!
Start Planning your March Break activities early and be sure to include your Barton Library. We will have activities every day of March Break including:
- Mario Kart Videogame Tournament (March 12th from 2pm-3pm; registration opens Feb 22nd)
- special guest Little Ray’s Nature Centre will present Nature’s Ninja’s, a live animal exhibit on March 14th at 11am, no registration required.
More February programs for kids:
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) Learning Lab: Explore optical illusions, experiment with chemistry and play with our tech toys. Drop by every Wednesday at 3:30pm. Ideal for ages 8-12 years.
- Whether you love math or need some extra practice, go on a fun Math Quest Tuesdays from 3pm-6pm. Complete 10 math activities (supporting the Ontario Curriculum) and get your name on Barton’s Math Quest Wall of Fame.
- Family Storytime: Bring the whole family to storytime. Foster early literacy with stories, rhymes, music, puppets and flannel boards at this interactive program. Wednesdays at 11am. Ideal for ages 0-4.
- Valentine’s Day Craft Cart: Celebrate Valentine’s Day with us and make a craft to share with someone special. Supplies provided. Wednesday, February 14th from 3:00pm – 5:00pm.
- Weekly Craft Cart: Fridays from 3pm-5pm: We will provide the supplies—all you need to bring is your imagination and make a cool creation to take home. Supplies provided, ages 4-12
- We are all fun and games on Saturdays with LEGO Club from 10am-12:30pm and Board Games and Puzzles from 1pm -3pm
Need help accessing all the great free library resources available on your tablet or phone? Bring those devices to our Drop-in Tech Help every Monday from 1-2pm and staff can show you how.
Or upgrade your computer skills by registering now for one of our Thursday morning (11am-12noon) Computer skills classes. No experience or computer required.
Feb 1st: Basic Computer Skills 1 – Device, Mouse and Keyboard
Feb 8th: Basic Computer Skills 2 – Keyboards and Drives
Feb 15th: Ancestry Library Edition
Feb 22nd: Digitize Your Memories
Feb 29th: Cricut Design Space
Enjoy more analogue pursuits? Come out to our new, weekly Social Scrabble. Meet new folks, socialize, and try your luck with this classic family game. Every Thursday from 12-1pm.
All Hamilton Public Library locations will be closed on Family Day, Monday, February 19, 2024